WHAT ARE MAN'S DUTIES?
by James Herschel Lyda
When God created man he gave him the freedom to make a choice between serving Him or of serving evil. The choice between life or death.
- Luke 16:13 No servant can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
- Deuteronomy 30:19 I call heaven and earth to record this day against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: therefore choose life, that both thou and thy seed may live:
- Deuteronomy11:27 A blessing, if ye obey the commandments of the LORD your God, which I command you this day:
- 28 And a curse, if ye will not obey the commandments of the LORD your God, but turn aside out of the way which I command you this day, to go after other gods, which ye have not known.
If man chooses to serve the one and only living, true God there will be blessings beyond compare, but if you choose to serve evil there will be a final curse of death from which there is no return.
It is the duty of man to choose the one true God, Jehovah, and keep all his commandments and precepts.
- Ecclesiastes 12: 13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
- Matthew 5: 48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
It is our duty if we choose to follow Jehovah to strive to be perfect in our service to Him. We must strive to follow all his commandments and precepts for the rest of our lives.
- Psalms 119:4 Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
- John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.
It is also our duty to live our lives in such a way that we are examples unto others. If people ask, we must always be ready to give an answer, humbly, as to why, how and what we believe.
- Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven
- 1 Peter 3:15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear: