WHAT IS THE SECOND DEATH AND WHAT IS IT LIKE?
by James Herschel Lyda
Revelations 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.
What is this second death that it is talking about? Before we can understand what the second death is we must look back at the question what is death? Death is the cessation of all mental and bodily functions.
- Psalms 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish
Now the second death is what happens to the wicked after they are resurrected for the judgement day of God.
- John 5:28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
- 29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation
The wicked will be judged and then sentenced to damnation (death). They will be cast into the lake of fire and burned up. They will become ashes under the feet of the righteous people.
- Psalms 37:20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume away.
- 35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a green bay tree.
- 36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he could not be found.
- Malachi 4:1 For, behold, the day cometh, that shall burn as an oven; and all the proud, yea, and all that do wickedly, shall be stubble: and the day that cometh shall burn them up, saith the LORD of hosts, that it shall leave them neither root nor branch.
- 2 But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
- 3 And ye shall tread down the wicked; for they shall be ashes under the soles of your feet in the day that I shall do this, saith the LORD of hosts.
The wicked will be destroyed from off the face of the earth and the righteous will walk on their ashes in Godís kingdom here upon the earth.